American Road Radio True News Magazine

American Road Radio True News Magazine
True News around the World while you can listen to American Road Radio

Now playing on Sexy Groove Radio

cover art

#Chicago_Chronicles : 3 dead, 3 wounded in shootings on South, West sides

A 16-year-old boy and two men have been killed and at least three other people have been wounded in separate shootings since just after dawn Sunday, officials said. 


At about 3:20 p.m., 16-year-old Nathan Hicks was on the sidewalk in the 3400 block of West Arthington Street in East Garfield Park when someone got out of a black sedan and shot him multiple times in the chest, authorities said. 

He was taken to Stroger Hospital and pronounced dead at about 4 p.m., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's office.

Hicks lived in the 4700 block of West Gladys Street, according to the medical examiner's office.

At 12:55 p.m. a man was killed and a woman injured in a shooting in the West Garfield Park neighborhood. The two were talking on a porch in the 200 block of South Karlov Avenue when a male attacker fired multiple shots at them, police spokesman Officer Kevin Quaid said. The 20-year-old man was shot multiple times and was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, while the 19-year-old woman had a graze wound to her back and was taken to Mount Sinai in good condition.

The man was identified as Deshawn Thompson, of the same block where he was shot, according to the Cook County medical examiner's office. He was pronounced dead at 5:45 p.m. at Mount Sinai.

Another man was killed in an attack in the 200 block of East 77th Street in the city's Greater Grand Crossing neighborhood. The shooting took place about 8:45 a.m., said Officer Jose Estrada, a Chicago police spokesman.

The victim was found shot multiple times and was taken in critical condition to Stroger Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead, Estrada said.

Kourtney Young, 21, of the 7300 block of South King Drive, was pronounced dead at 9:35 a.m., according to the Cook County medical examiner's office.

Police said Young was standing in the 7600 block of Prairie Avenue when he was approached by a gunman who shot him several times.

On a sunny Sunday morning, a few scattered neighbors gathered outside the crime scene, where police cordoned off the intersection of South Prairie Avenue and East 77th Street.

Mere feet in front of a sign for a local block club, which read "Our community is our home," a discarded Timberland boot and clothes were sprawled across an apartment building's yard and sidewalk.

Mark Belin and his children, ages 7 and 12, who had prepared to visit Belin's wife in the hospital to celebrate Mother's Day, walked out of their house less than a block south to the sight of the police tape and blue strobe lights from squad cars.

"Everyone may think it's funny," Belin said, looking at some who were laughing nearby, "but it could've been my kid."

Belin, who has lived in the neighborhood more than 10 years, said while the community consists of mostly retired residents, the stretch of Prairie from 75th to 79th streets is a "hot spot" for crime spilling over from the pair of busy streets.

"When something goes down, we call police, but it's always over before they get here. Once they're gone, we still have to live here."

Investigators took pictures and canvassed the neighborhood. An officer then took out a couple of large brown paper bags and placed the clothes inside.

Sunday afternoon, a 17-year-old boy was shot in the city's Austin neighborhood on the West Side, said Officer Kevin Quaid, a Chicago police spokesman.

That shooting happened about 12:50 p.m. in the 5000 block of West Erie Street, he said.

The teen suffered a wound to the leg and was taken in serious condition to Mount Sinai Hospital. Police said he was being uncooperative.

At 5:30 a.m., a man was shot in the face in the Englewood neighborhood. In the 700 block of West 59th Street, the 30-year-old man was shot and walked into St. Bernard Hospital before he was transferred to Stroger Hospital, where he was treated and released. The man is not cooperating with the investigation, Quaid said. Police had originally said the man may have walked into Stroger for treatment, several hours after he was shot.

No one was in custody for any of the attacks, and police were investigating.
Share on Google Plus

About Pratica Radio

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

American Road Radio

Gallery on the main road around the Practical World